In the next few days, we will be watching children scramble from house to house in search of the elusive Halloween treat. However, keeping our kids safe as they are out Halloween night is always a concern. In 2015, there were an estimated 6,900 pedestrian deaths and 165,000 medically consulted nonfatal injuries among pedestrians in motor vehicle incidents, according to Injury Facts 2015, the statistical report on unintentional injuries created by the National Safety Council.
A little pre-planning can prevent unfortunate accidents that could turn out to be tragic. Remember, your homeowner’s insurance will cover you in most cases should someone trip and fall on your premises.
Here are some pointers for ensuring your house is a safe place for trick-or-treaters on Oct. 31.
- Provide healthier treats for trick-or-treaters such as low-calorie treats and drinks. For your guests, offer a variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Be sure walking areas and stairs are well-lit and free of obstacles that could cause someone to fall.
- Keep candle-lit jack o’lanterns and luminaries away from doorsteps, walkways, landings, and curtains. Place them on sturdy tables, keep them out of the reach of pets and small children, and never leave them unattended.
- Remind drivers to watch out for trick-or-treaters and to drive safely.
Safety tips for kids
- Never, ever, go into a house.
- Costumes should be short enough to prevent children from tripping and falling
- An adult or an older responsible child should always accompany young children. Even older children should go trick-or-treating with an adult, or with friends. Never go out alone.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on.
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective.
- Do not eat homemade food.
- Examine all candy. If it has been opened, toss it out.
- Use a flashlight.
Safety Tips for Motorists
- Watch for children walking on roadways, medians, and curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully.
- Turn your lights on.
- At twilight and later in the evening, watch for children in dark clothing.
Sources: http://www.nsc.org/, https://www.aap.org, https://www.cdc.gov
Established in 1981 and located in Roswell, Georgia, we are dedicated to providing excellent service and competitive pricing but most importantly, professional analysis of the insurance needs of our clients. Our state of the art computer network allows us to make rate comparisons with several insurance companies to ensure that our clients receive the best we have to offer. We can help you with all your insurance needs including auto/car insurance, business insurance, life insurance, and wealth management.
Filed Under: Blog, Home Insurance, Personal Linsurance | Tagged With: Allen & Furr, home insurance, homeowners insurance, Insurance Information