The holiday season is in full swing, and your home may be host to many parties and events during the next few weeks. There will be extra shopping, cooking, drinking, and celebrating as part of the holiday season. It is important to understand what risks you have and how to manage your risks.
What Are Some Common Holiday Risks?
- Christmas tree fires
- Cooking fires
- Trip and fall hazards
- Fire from candles
- Identity theft
- Theft from break-ins
- Fire from blocked chimneys
- Overloaded electrical outlets
- Dryer filter failures
- Kids and matches
- Injured guests
Manage Your Holiday Risk
The best way you can manage your holiday risk is with a well-designed and written homeowners, renters, or condominium insurance policy. There are many types of personal insurance coverage you may need to insure your holiday season risks are covered.
Homeowners, renters, or condominium insurance policies can cover many of the holiday risks you have. Here are the highlights of these coverages.
- Coverage for buildings and property
- Personal property coverage
- Loss of use
- Personal liability
- Coverage for valuables
- Water back-up
- Inflation protection
Good Ways To Avoid Holiday Claims
Decorate With Care. Make sure you do not place flammable items close to heaters or fires. Never leave candles unattended. There are over 8,000 home candle fires each year. Keep candles at least one foot away from anything that burns. If you have a live tree, water it every day, and remove it after December 31. According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are $14 million of damage each year from tree fires.
Prevent Theft. There are many ways to protect your property from loss during the holiday season.
- Install outside lights.
- Lock all doors all the time.
- Utilize smart technology for home security.
- Do not leave presents in plain sight.
- If you travel, have a neighbor watch your home.
- Make sure delivered packages are picked up as soon as possible.
Holiday Party Safety. If you are planning a holiday party take steps to reduce your risk by following these steps.
- Limit the use of alcohol.
- Have plenty of food.
- Cut people off if needed.
- Offer a ride home if a guest is impaired.
Reduce Your Chance of Identity theft. Keep these in mind as you shop during the holidays.
- Keep credit cards in your wallet or purse at all times until you need to use them.
- Only carry the one or two credit cards you will be using.
- Use only online retailers you trust.
We are Independent Agents, free to choose the best carrier for your insurance needs. We do not work for an insurance company; we work for you. We work on your side when you have a loss and follow through to see that you get fair, prompt payment and service. Allen & Furr Insurance represents a carefully selected group of financially strong, reputable insurance companies, therefore, we are able to offer you the best coverage at the most competitive price.Filed Under: Blog, Home Insurance, Personal Linsurance | Tagged With: Insurance Information, Personal Articles, safety, Social Host Liability