Posted by Allen & Furr Insurance on
Each year college and university students, on- and off-campus, experience hundreds of fire-related emergencies nationwide. There are several specific causes for fires on college campuses, including cooking, intentionally set fires, overloaded power strips and open flame. Overall, most college-related fires are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention.
For most students, the last fire safety training they received was in grade school, but with new independence comes new responsibilities. It is important that both off-campus and on-campus students understand fire risks and know the preventative measures that could save their lives.
Safety Tips for Students
- Make sure candles are in sturdy holders and put out after each use.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Keep candles away from draperies and linens.
- Use flameless candles which are both safe and attractive.
- Cook only where it is permitted.
- Keep your cooking area clean and uncluttered.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- If a fire starts in a microwave, keep the door closed and unplug the unit.
- Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out. Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash can.
- Use deep, wide ashtrays. Place ashtrays on something sturdy and hard to ignite.
- After a party, check for cigarette butts, especially under cushions. Chairs and sofas catch on fire fast and burn fast.
- It is risky to smoke when you have been drinking or are drowsy.
- Get low and go under the smoke to escape to your safe exit.
- Feel the door. If it’s hot, use your second way out.
- Use the stairs; never use an elevator during a fire.
- Practice your escape plan. Always have two ways out.
Resource: U.S. Fire AdministrationFiled Under: Blog | Tagged With: Allen & Furr, campus, campus safety, candles, college, college student, cooking, dorm room, escape plan, escape planning, fire safety, home insurance, Homeowners, homeowners insurance, Insurance, Insurance Information, safety, smoking, student