The holiday shopping season is upon us, and many of us are searching our favorite web pages for the best deals on the items that top this year’s wish list. Last year, cyber Monday was the year’s single biggest day for shopping, generating over 2 billion dollars in sales. This year, consumer experts predict an even bigger day. However, this online activity is also a big day for cyber criminals.
We recommend that you have us review your personal insurance to make sure you have the right kind of insurance, including identity theft protection, to protect you and your family throughout the holiday season.
Holiday Cyber Safety Tips
- Use a credit card rather than a debit card. It is easier to resolve issues.
- Make sure your computer has updated security software. Verify that your antivirus software is up-to-date with the latest virus definitions, and that useful features like real-time scanning are enabled.
- Update your passwords and make sure they are strong. Do not use 1234 as your password.
- Don’t open email advertisement for sources you do not know.
- Use only familiar websites.
- Check you statements to make sure charges are correct.
- Always log out of websites after your shopping is complete. Cookies can often keep you logged into accounts even after you close the browsing tab, an obvious no-no. Get in the habit of clicking the “log out” button.
- Try not to do your online banking on the same computer you use to shop online.
- An extremely important online shopping safety tip is to keep your personal information protected. No store needs your social security number or your birthday.
- The National Retail Federation predicts that 25 percent of adults will do online browsing with their smartphones to find gifts. If you use your smart phone to shop, make sure that you are only browsing safe, well-known sites.
Established in 1981 and located in Roswell, Georgia, we are dedicated to providing excellent service and competitive pricing but most importantly, professional analysis of the insurance needs of our clients. Our state of the art computer network allows us to make rate comparisons with several insurance companies to ensure that our clients receive the best we have to offer. We can help you with all your insurance needs including auto/car insurance, business insurance, life insurance, and wealth management.
Sources – Protection one, CNET, Identity Hawk.com, and Tripwire.Filed Under: Blog, Home Insurance, Personal Linsurance | Tagged With: home insurance, homeowners insurance, safety