We are well into hurricane season and it is time to provide a refresher on hurricane safety and preparation. Experts tell us that 2018 might be a mild hurricane season, vet it only takes one to create a major loss.
Coverage is designed to provide reimbursement for damage to the structure and contents of the home caused by certain perils like fire, wind and theft. The liability portion will also be your first line of defense against a lawsuit from someone injured on your property due to your negligence. Allen & Furr can provide you with options for hurricane insurance, call us today.
Remember The Key Terms
Hurricane Watch: A hurricane watch is issued when hurricane conditions are a real possibility for an area within 48 hours.
Hurricane Warning: A hurricane warning is issued when a hurricane is expected within 36 hours. Begin precautionary action at once. Important – once a Warning has been issued for our community insurance cannot be bound. If you are involved in closing on a new home, we recommend binding coverage early, especially in hurricane season.
Now is the time for you to build an emergency kit and create an evacuation plan. For more information on this, go to http://www.ready.gov/american-red-cross
- Review your insurance to make sure you have adequate coverage and limits.
- Hold an annual family meeting to discuss issues and plans.
- Develop an evacuation plan; this should include phone numbers, meeting places and routes of escape from your home, neighborhood and city.
- Check your home for vulnerable areas, such as leaking roofs.
- Make sure you have a secure place for recreation vehicles, boats, and motorcycles.
- Make plans for your pets as well.
- Notify neighbors and family members of your evacuation plan.
- Plan for any special medical needs.
- Make sure the gas tank in your car is full.
- Anchor or stow small boats and RV’s.
- Secure any outdoor furniture.
- Secure buildings by closing and boarding up windows.
- Trim any old trees.
- Secure any antennas.
- Make sure flashlights are working.
- Evacuate, if advised to do so!
An Independent Advantage
We are Independent Agents, free to choose the best carrier for your insurance needs. We do not work for an insurance company; we work for you. We work on your side when you have a loss and follow through to see that you get fair, prompt payment and service. Allen & Furr Insurance & Wealth Management represents a carefully selected group of financially strong, reputable insurance companies, therefore, we are able to offer you the best coverage at the most competitive price.
Filed Under: Home Insurance, Personal Linsurance | Tagged With: homeowners insurance, Insurance Information, safety